A little while back I made a deal with myself that I would use up all the fabric that I’ve already purchased before I buy any new. So I looked in my fabric box and found a lot of denim. This idea came out of the blue but perfectly timed because my old jeans jacket is a bit too tiny and too tight, for a hijabi that is.
To make this jacket you’ll need:
- Front/back and sleeve pattern
- Fabric (I chose a light and a dark denim color)
- White thread and/or a strong thread
- Twin needle & denim needle
- Measuring tape
- and a seem ripper, if anything goes wrong.
- I made my pattern out of tracing the front of a dress which you can use for both the front and back piece. And a long sleeved shirt for the sleeves.
- Line up, pin down and cut out your choice of fabric. Pin the front and back shoulder seems by laying the fabric right sides together and sew. Lay down your jacket, wrong sides up and pin your sleeves in place and sew. When you’ve finished you can sew the sleeves seems together and down your waist from your sleeve on both sides.
- If you want you can add pockets which I just traced out by hand and placed at both sides. This is fairly simple to do and didn’t t use a pattern just some chalk and drew my desired design on to the fabric. Cut it out and do an overlock seem. If you don’t have an overlock machine you can use your sewing machine. You have to do this so that the fabric won’t distress. Now you only have to sew the pockets on to the front of your jacket.
- Now I started seem rip the ends of the sleeve and at the opening of the jacket cause I thought I wanted a distressed cool look. After doing so, and waisting endless amount of time, I found out that it didn’t look good at all and I wouldn’t use this jacket. So the only do to do was to cut away those ends and make a nice overlock seem on the ends. I continuing on with a twin needle to do a hemmed seem at the bottom and around the opening of the jacket and at the sleeves. I used a white thread because I wanted the seem to be seen but that’s up to you.